An Interview with My Dad, Author John V. LaBarge:



An Interview with My Dad, Author John V. LaBarge:

John V. LaBarge is, in fact, my dad. But he is also the recently published author of “A Man in His Kingdom” a book about his friend and late state representative Cola H. Hudson from Lyndon Vermont. John and Cola had a 16 year long friendship and over that time John spent many hours with Cola during the legislative sessions and the LaBarge family spent many hours in the Kingdom with Cola. (Pics below of my dad and his book).



Synopsis: I first met Cola H. Hudson in January of 1993 when I was a freshman representative in the Vermont Legislature; but this story isn’t just about politics, this is a story about friendship. My friendship with a man whose unique character and ability to articulate and capture the essence of life truly influenced my own. Cola was raised on a farm in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, surrounded by three generations of family. He was a humble man who seasoned the changing times yet never lost sight of the simplicities of life. He served his community for 36 years with honesty and integrity, a quality that remained true of him in his public and private life. Cola was my best friend and I doubt I will ever have another like him. Here in the pages of this book I try to capture his character and wisdom to share with you. I hope these stories make you laugh, make you think, and give you time to slow down because at Cola’s core he was a man of peace and reflection. Join me in a walk down memory lane with Cola H. Hudson as he recalls the past, discusses the present and wonders about the future.

In my opinion: “If you like Tuesday’s with Morrie By: Mitch Albom you will like A Man in His Kingdom. It is a beautiful reflection of a unique man who was like a modern day philosopher. There are not many others like him in current society. This book made me laugh out loud, cry, and really think! I would absolutely recommend it!!” I’m not just saying so because he’s my dad. ;) I am extremely proud of my dad and very excited to share him with you. Below is an interview with John so that you can get to know him better:

Q: Tell us a little about yourself?

A: I was born and raised in Burlington Vermont. I attended UVM for one year. I worked for the Grand Union CO. for 16 years and then I married and moved to Grand Isle, VT. My wife and I began our own small retail business in So. Hero, VT and ran that for 24 years. During that time, I was elected to the Vermont House of Representatives as state representative from Grand Isle County. I served for 10 years. My wife and I have been married for 42 years and we have three grown children and three grandchildren. I have been a member of the local Rotary Club, Vice President and then President of So. Hero Players, a local theater group. In the late 1980’s I started a flying club. We purchased a Cessna 172 and I earned my private pilot’s license. I enjoy camping, canoeing and kayaking and wild life and scenic photography. In the winter I enjoy wood working in my shop in the basement.  
Q: Tell us about the subject of your book Cola H. Hudson. In your view what made Cola such a unique person?

A: Cola and I met at the legislature and developed a very close friendship lasting 16 years before his death in 2008. He was one of the last examples of a conservative republican from the Northeast Kingdom area of Vermont. He grew up on a farm his grandfather purchased in 1903 and three generations lived under the same roof. I felt his story was disappearing much like the stories of World War II veterans are disappearing. The book is really about the man and our deep friendship. It wasn’t until I met Cola that I knew what having a real friend was all about. 
Q: Can you describe your friendship and why you wanted to write about it?

A: We both had a lot in common. We were both raised in a close-knit family situation, with parents of very modest means. We had many neighbors and knew them all very well, something that doesn’t happen much in today’s neighborhoods. We both have a love for our state’s beauty and politically both agreed that politicians are out of control and more and more they believe they know what’s best for the people. Cola was a self made person who really participated in the art of thinking. He took some college courses, read a great deal and loved Emerson’s Essay’s. I appreciated his perspective on life, politics and public policy. I wanted to share our friendship and his way of thinking, hoping it may cause others to begin thinking about the direction we seem to be headed in our state and country and as a society.

Q: Is this the first time that you have written anything?

A: I used to like to write during high school. I took a creative writing course and over the years I wrote poems, a play, I liked to write legislative update articles for our local newspaper. However, this was my first endeavor in writing and publishing a book.

Q: What was it like to write a book about your friend?

A: Oddly enough is was easy and it was very difficult at the same time. It’s was easy recalling many of our conversations and since I had Cola put some of his thoughts on tape I was able to have exact quotes. The difficult part was figuring out how much to write. I wanted to write enough so people got a real sense of him and our friendship, but not so much that it became boring with all of the banter that took place between us. Also, deciding what to keep and what to throw out was hard because I loved every minute we spent together. Editing and organizing the book was harder that I expected. 

Q: What do you hope that readers will get out of the book?

A: I hope they get an appreciation for a man who came from being a janitor to someone who was so loved and respected in his community, which they reelected as their representative for 36 years. And I hope people get a sense of what a true representative should be. Understand what being self-reliant and being responsible for yourself and your actions, while not easy provides a sense of self worth and pride in yourself. While Cola earned respect and power at the state house over his long tenure, he never forgot he had 5000 bosses back home and that he answered to them, not the governor, party leaders or lobbyists. Also, I hope people learn to take politics seriously and don’t go to the polls and just vote for someone because you recognize their name or because they seem nice. Know what they stand for and be an informed voter. Above all else, take time to think for yourself, put down your damn cell phones and computers once in a while and take the time to just “think.” Don’t form your opinions from media headlines or 5 second sound bites or peer pressure; be your own person. 

Q: What were your favorite parts and least favorite parts of writing the book?

A: My favorite part of writing a book is finally holding it in your hands and knowing that you set a goal and achieved it. My least favorite part is having to go over and over and over it to make sure every sentence says exactly what it is you are trying to communicate. Editing is a necessary pain in the butt. 

Q: Do you have any other books in you that you will write?

A: Lord no, not at this time. It only took me 10 years to write this one; but I am the type of person who never says never! Who knows for sure what the future holds.

Q: Do you have any advice or pieces of knowledge that you would like to pass on to aspiring authors?

A: Write about something you like, your passions, your thoughts; it makes the whole experience easier. If you are not writing for a living, write for fun and enjoyment it should never be a chore and know why you are writing it. Why do you want others to read it? And, never give up, just give it a rest if you need to and then go back at it. Forcing your book to completion could degrade the quality. If you don’t have to meet a deadline, then relax. Reaching a goal is not usually something that falls in your lap you have to earn it.


I am also hoping that some local book stores in VT will carry the book as well.

Bio: John is a third generation Vermonter born and raised in Burlington Vermont. After his marriage he and his wife Kitty, they moved to the Lake Champlain Islands where they raised three children. While their children have since grown and left the state John and Kitty still reside in the Islands. Over the years, John worked in a corporate setting for sixteen years then he and Kitty started their own small business in South Hero, Vermont and ran it for 24 years. During that time, he was elected as the state representative to the Vermont House from Grand Isle County and served in the legislature for ten years. While a legislator, he served as House Minority Whip for four years, and then served as House Majority Leader for two years before retiring his seat. He then worked fifteen years with the Vermont Agency of Transportation before retiring. John has always been interested in writing but this is his first published work.

Comments