My journey as an author conclusion:




My journey as an author conclusion:

Please read part 1 on my author history page & part 2 on my blog.

I hoped and prayed for the next four months. Then finally Kathie wrote back saying that she was interested in offering me a publishing contract. I was ecstatic but also nervous. I wondered if maybe the contract would be a mistake somehow.

I spent a lot of time reading reviews online about publishing contracts and the do’s and don’ts of the publishing world. I asked others opinions and got conflicting feedback, but in my gut I had a feeling that working with this publisher was the right move. I told them that I was interested in reading the actual contract in full. I had it reviewed by a lawyer. In the meantime I received a call from Kathie’s husband and business partner Donald and had a discussion with him about the process and all of my questions. He, like Kathie, was very nice and knowledgeable. He took the time to answer anything I wanted to ask and explain in great detail what happens with a publishing deal. I felt more comfortable after talking with him and hearing back from my lawyer that the contract was legitimate. Then I signed on the dotted line and sent the contract back. The publishers sent me the confirmation that they had received it and were processing it and would get back to me with next steps soon.

Unfortunately, the next time I heard from Donald it was with sad news. Kathie had passed away from a long battle with Cancer and Donald would be continuing the contracts and publishing company on his own. He told me that he would be working with me himself from now on and that my manuscript was the last one that Kathie had read and approved for publishing before she went into the hospital. I was extremely proud. I felt so lucky that she had approved it before her sickness got worse but I also felt so sad that I would never again be able to talk to her or meet her in person. She had changed my life and my writing for the better and was gone. I could never thank her for that. 

The next steps in the process were, on my side, waiting. I was put on a waiting list for editing Once editors were available I had to wait for several more months for them to read the manuscript and edit it. This was the hardest part of the process but Donald assured me that it was the longest waiting time in the process. After the first round of edits they sent me an electronic copy. I went through it and approved or disapproved of their changes. They did a second round of edits which took another couple of weeks. Next the book went through a plagiarism check and in the meantime they sent me mock cover designs and we discussed those. During this time, I created the back cover pitch and took an author photo as well as wrote a biography and dedication page. Finally, a mock version of the final E-Format version was sent to me for approval. Once I approved it they set to work creating the ISBN number and other marketing items to publish it first in E-format then in print.

Every author’s experiences with writing and printing are, I am sure, different. But for me this process has been about believing in myself and in the story that I was trying to tell. It was also about learning to accept criticism and suggestions and having the strength to cut my story when necessary but also being brave enough to say when I thought that cutting anymore would hurt the integrity of the story. Listening to my gut telling me what to do was how I made my manuscript the best it could be and sent it to a publisher that is the perfect match for me. Now I get to watch my dream of becoming a published author come true and it is exhilarating. I know that I have a special story full of good positive messages to share with the world especially with the younger generation and I feel so privileged that I am able to do so. Until next time….writing=happiness. ;)

Comments