Happy New Year:



Happy New Year:

First let me say, happy New Year to all my fellow writers or want to be writers out there. Let’s make a pact, shall we, to make 2017 a great writing year. My goal for 2017 for my writing is three fold, 1.) Finish writing the third book in the Elven Quest series. 2.) Continue doing interviews and speaking to young adults in schools to help motivate them to keep reaching for their dreams. 3.) Try to help other writers edit or review their work. The second and third items may not seem like they are really writing related, but just because you may not be physically writing, if you are reading someone else’s work, helping them build their craft, or inspiring others to write, it is still related to who you are as a writer.

2016 was a fantastic year for me writing wise. I finally, after eleven years or so of trying, had my first novel published, which was a huge blessing and gift all on its own. On top of that however, I also received wonderful feedback from readers. To hear from others that they are thinking about your characters at night in bed, that they don’t want to put the book down, that they have to bargain with themselves, “just one more chapter” when they know they should be asleep, is an amazing feeling. Especially because these are complete strangers, they are not saying nice things because they have to, because they know you. They are saying them because they truly feel that way. To receive that kind of wonderful feedback about something that is so dear to my heart has been very humbling. It actually brought me to tears when a librarian reached out to me online to say that all of her teacher friends are saying these things about the book and that they can’t wait for the second one. What a great way to end my year. To know that I am slowly building a fan base of people that I can talk about Isobel, Mauve, Nathaniel and the whole Elven Quest gang with is awesome. I have so much to tell you about all of them!! 😉




On top of the amazing feedback that I received, I have also had the wonderful fortune of being invited to speak at several schools and talk to students about my journey. I hope that I was able to inspire them to continue to follow their own paths, to accomplish whatever goals they have. On top of that, I am able to write these blogs and connect with others through my Twitter and Face book pages. I am always surprised and pleased when a new person comments on my FB page or starts to follow me on Twitter or writes a nice review on Amazon or B&N. I think, oh cool someone else I can share my thoughts and feelings with.

I love learning about other writers too. I am following some writers on Twitter and it is interesting to me, especially when they write about their “process”. A lot of them post things like, “forcing myself to write” or something about writing being a chore. That is different than the way I feel. I love writing and even editing. It is my special time to do the thing that I love the most, so it never feels like a chore to me. I guess I am lucky in that regard. That’s not to insinuate that it is easy or that I don’t ever get writers block because that’s definitely not the case. In fact, I have that with my third book right now. So, I put it aside for a time and focused on editing my second novel instead. When I am through with my editing, I will go back and re-read what I have so far and maybe inspiration with strike. This is my process. It is what works best for me. I take a break when necessary and focus on other things. I look for inspiration around me and then go back. It usually always works. ;)

I can’t wait to continue my author/writing journey in 2017. Everything that I have done in 2016 I will continue to do. I want to do more and more reaching out to others, especially young aspiring authors and try to help mentor them through the process. That combines my two greatest passions, writing and mentoring/counseling. It’s who I am, it’s what I love and I can’t wait to do more of it. What about you dear readers? What are your goals, aspirations, resolutions, for the New Year? Last year, on New Years Eve, I told my two best friends, “My goal for 2016 is to get my book published one way or another.” Goal accomplished!!!! J I wish you all the best of success accomplishing your goals in 2017. Until next time dear readers remember, writing=happiness ;). 


“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…” Dr. Seuss, Oh The Places You’ll Go!

As a welcome to 2017 I’d like to give away a free Burden of Destiny: Elven Quest phone case. Image below, it fits an I-phone 6 plus. Are you interested?! Contact me on this blog, my FB page or my Twitter page and let me know what you liked best about The Burden of Destiny and I’ll mail it to your door. 😀 First response wins so message me soon!! 



Comments