Our natural elements and the part they play in my writing:



Our natural elements and the part they play in my writing:

For anyone that has read the first of my Elven Quest Series, The Burden of Destiny, you will have realized what a huge part nature has in my story. The elven races that I created were representative of four elements Earth, Air, Fire and Water. In my own life these elements have always provided happiness and inspiration for me.

As many of you probably know, I grew up in a small town on an island in the middle of a lake in Vermont. The fresh water lake, Lake Champlain, was quite literally a minute’s walking distance from my house, (that was my water element). My yard had plenty of different types of trees and even small forests, (this was my Earth element). Living in the country we had plenty of fresh air, (even though sometimes it smelled like cows, there were a lot of farms nearby. J This was my air element.) Lastly, I have very fond memories of having bon fires by the lake in the summer and warm fires in our wood stove in the winter. Not to mention camp fires when we went camping, which we did every summer, (this was my fire element.)
Below are a couple of pictures of VT.






Each of these elements gave me specific feelings and memories that I pulled back and remembered when I wrote my books. I tried to show how special and unique each of these elements is and how important it is to protect them. Why so important? In my book I explain that elements seem to have abilities of their own to create protection and positives or to destroy. If you think about natural disasters and what they can do, it is a bit scary. Earthquakes, title waves, tornadoes, hurricanes, forest fires, all of these things can destroy houses and land and even hurt or kill people. Maybe helping to stop land, air and water pollution will not do anything toward preventing these disasters from occurring but maybe it will. Personally, I would rather work together to try to take care of our world and its natural beauty than waiting and seeing what happens if we do not.

Although being rich enough to donate sums of money toward nonprofits that help the environment would be wonderful, (definitely do this if you can.) I am not in a position to do so, so instead I make sure to help in the little ways that I can. I clean up my yard, street and local park whenever I see trash lying around. My family has a garden and chickens so we try to eat fairly naturally. Instead of throwing out leftover food we give it to our chickens or use it as fertilizer. Also, we do not use pesticides on our grass or gardens. When a company came to our door offering to spray pesticides to keep mosquitoes away we said “no, thank you” because we knew it was bad for the land, air and animals.

As a mom I am in position of being able to teach my son about respecting nature and animals, cleaning up after himself and re-using old things. I try to do so as much as possible. In my novels my characters speak about how important it is to respect the elements a lot and I hope that my novels help to inspire others to remember to always treat our natural elements with respect, like they are our friends. I hope you all do what you can as well dear readers, please let me know, thanks! Until next time remember. Writing=happiness ;)

Comments