Inspiring Others:



Inspiring Others:

This past month I was very pleased an honored to return home to my native island, Grand Isle, Vermont to be able to speak to two middle schools. On Wednesday January 18th I drove up to the top of the string of islands in VT to a little town called Alburgh. When I arrived at the school I was surprised to see that on their sign out in front of the building they had written, Alburgh is proud to welcome author Laura E. Thompson. Talk about humbling, it was amazing to realize that I was their honored guest. I wish I had taken a picture of it, unfortunately I forgot to. However, if I receive photos from the school, I will be sure to post them. That afternoon I met with the 8th graders and then the 7th graders for two forty minute sessions. We sat in the library and I told them about myself and the book. Then I opened it up to questions and they asked things like, “What keeps you motivated?” And “How long did it take you to write the book?” They seemed pleased when I told them that a lot of my inspiration came from growing up in a small town and that my goal for visiting them was to instill the fact that it does not matter how small your town was or where you came from, if you believe in yourself and keep working towards your dream you can achieve it.
The students seemed to enjoy the talk and I was pleased to offer a signed book to one lucky winner from each class.

On Friday January 20th I returned to my old Elementary school Grand Isle. Grand Isle had planned the talk a little differently. Instead of separating the classes, they invited me to stand onstage in the auditorium and speak to over 100 people. I spoke to the fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students, as well as their teachers for an hour. I am not ashamed to admit that when I found out there would be that many students, I suddenly became very nervous. The night before the speech I tossed and turned until after midnight. It is a strange thing to go back and see a place that you spent your whole childhood in order to tell other kids growing up there what you have done with your life. You can’t help wondering what they will think. I thought what if they do not like my speech? What if they are bored or do not ask any questions and there is a huge, awkward silence? Nothing could have been further from what happened. The children were absolutely wonderful and extremely engaged in my speech. They eagerly raised their hands and asked both prepared questions and new questions that they made up on the spot. I even received some suggestions about other things that I could write about. I couldn’t believe how positive and impressed they seemed to be. For a shy, awkward girl who grew up afraid to speak up in class, this was a shining moment of achievement for me. I was so proud to do it and so happy that they enjoyed it.



After the speech, I was interviewed by a lovely eighth grade student named Nevaeh Prim. We sat for about ten minutes as she asked me questions in order to write an article for their school newspaper. I have included her article below, enjoy. Until next time dear readers, remember to keep being yourself and believing in your dreams and they will come true, in time. Writing=happiness ;)

 On Friday, January 20, at Grand Isle School, Ms. Laura E. Thompson, former Grand Isle student, gave us a presentation and book talk about her newly published book “The Burden of Destiny: Elven Quest Book 1”
During her hour long visit she explained to us her road to writing her book and her challenges and difficulties of writing her very first young adult fantasy novel. As a child she liked to read and write but never really knew she wanted to be a published author until she was a little older. She had many inspirations writing the novel including JK Rowling and J.R.R. Tolkien.
She stated that it took her “over 10 years” to write and publish the book. Once she published the book she said “It was like a dream come true.”
Although she had a fun time writing the book, she encountered many challenges along the way, including being rejected about 15 times by publishers before she was able to actually publish it. Sometimes writing the novel even Ms. Thompson had her doubts and threw the beginnings of the book aside. But that never stopped her, with the courage and help from her family and friends she was able to complete her very first novel.
Her final message to me during our interview was “...but if you truly believe in something, stick with it. If you really believe in yourself great things will happen.”
I thought that it was really neat of Ms.Thompson to come and visit our school and share to us her thoughts and tell us her journey making the book. As a young writer myself I believe that she gave me some good tips and inspiration on perseverance and never giving up on on writing. I learned that writing isn’t going to be easy and that new writers may encounter many many challenges and that we shouldn’t give up. I can’t wait for when someday I may be able to publish my own book and that her visiting gave me a little confidence booster on writing.
Interview and Writing: Nevaeh Prim
Photos: Nevaeh Prim and Kate Lucas

Comments