Guest Blog Post

Hello Dear Readers, recently I was lucky enough to be invited to be a guest blogger on a fellow Fantasy writer's blog. http://wp.me/p4Dwoa-1h6
Since I believe in paying a good thing forward, I invited another fellow writer to be a guest on my blog. I am happy to introduce to you Timothy Robare who has recently self-published his first Novelette (which is a word I love by the way, its so fancy). Timothy's novelette is one that I have read and love! Because I enjoy his writing so much, I am offering my editing services to him for his upcoming novel. We will see more of him in the future, I am sure. For now, enjoy his post below and check him out on Amazon and Facebook, links below.





Born December 22nd 1989 in Burlington, Vermont, Timothy graduated with a degree in writing arts from Plattsburgh State. His love for writing started as a young boy writing lyrics and poetry and then moved to short stories and plays until he began to read novels such as “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” which really inspired him on the impact novels can have. Writing inspirations range from Shakespeare to Hemingway to CC Humphrey’s and others. 


The path of self publishing: By Guest Author: Timothy Robare

The road to writing is filled with different paths and like Robert Frost said, “I took the one less traveled, and that made all the difference.” Writing is never easy and starting out you glorify it and think it is just a hobby. A lot of work goes into writing, as I have learned. A lot more goes into turning that writing, that beautiful creation that you’ve worked on and worked on until your mental capacity was ready to crash and burn, into the hottest flame ever known. Edit, re-edit, then do both twenty times more and continue doing it; which some nights makes you want to throw your computer at a wall.

An important part of writing, as I learned, is who you surround yourself with. A good support group is extremely important in my experience. People who are willing to give you feedback, (honest feedback). People willing to help you edit, and people telling you that you can do it and that you are doing a good job to keep you going. I know personally, that fits of melancholy plague me often as I write. I had a great supporting cast on my path to self-publishing. I was very conflicted whether to self-publish or not, but finally I talked to multiple sources and decided that it was my best bet currently. I have a main novel that takes most of my focus, but little projects on the side give me breaks that are much needed. I wanted to publish this one, my novelette, “The Story of A World War II Vet”, so badly that I decided to self-publish through Amazon’s programs, Create a Space and KDP. After much contemplation and research I decided it was a good opportunity and exciting. More work was involved but it was so real and it was all me at that point. The final click after creating the proof was a terrifying moment, but also extremely gratifying. Seeing your final copy, searching it on Amazon and having it pop up, is a beautiful moment, one that is nearly hard to believe it is even happening.

Of course it isn’t as great as getting a large publisher in many people’s eyes, but that can be a future project. Self-publishing made me realize how many people actually support me and that I can do anything I need to do in regards to accomplishing, creating a real living book. Friends, family, and people I don’t know that well, helped to spread word of my book and it was a very humbling day to watch so many people care enough to support me in something that means so much. Perhaps it’s not as spectacular as being published by a big company in many views and aspects, but it is equally as beautiful and wonderful in different ways that are difficult to put into words. I personally was terrified and the writing journey is different for each person, which is part of its allure, but there’s always a way to accomplish your goal and your dream, as long as you want to badly enough. If you’re considering the path of self-publishing, no it isn’t a glamour filled journey right off, but nothing is just happens and becomes a best-selling piece. It is a different path than I had originally anticipated, but I do not regret one second of it now. All you can do is follow your heart and your pen, (or keyboard, I suppose). From what I have learned as a writer, that will lead you to where you need to be. In closing, I will leave you with another beautiful quote.
“Who wants to become a writer? And why? Because it’s the answer to everything. … It’s the streaming reason for living. To note, to pin down, to build up, to create, to be astonished at nothing, to cherish the oddities, to let nothing go down the drain, to make something, to make a great flower out of life, even if it’s a cactus.”—Enid Bagnold 


https://www.facebook.com/authorTimothyRobare/

Comments