Write what you know:



Write what you know:


You’ve all no doubt heard that old saying just “write what you know” to be a successful writer. I find this saying a little misleading if we all wrote about only what we know or what our experiences have been then we wouldn’t have fantasy novels about magic, elves and other magical creatures or science fiction novels about other planets or other times and space. And I would assume there would be no murder mysteries or very few anyway. To me, this saying is not a literal one. It does not literally mean write only about what you know or what you have experienced. On the contrary, what it means is write about the feelings or the experiences you have had but change them, use them as inspiration for a story. It is okay to draw on real life experiences but change the details to match the story. In fact, I believe most authors do this. I definitely used this skill while writing my series Elven Quest.

In the first book The Burden of Destiny we meet the main character Isobel who is a fourteen year old that lives in a small village. Her father owns and runs a farm and her mother has past away so she takes on the role of the woman in the house cooking, cleaning, helping to take care of the farm and take care of her father. Since it is just the two of them and has been since she was very small she has a close relationship with her father. He can be a stern, no nonsense father at times, but they enjoy their time together too and he loves Isobel very much. But Isobel always feels a little bit different from her father and from the other villagers. While they all seem happy and satisfied with their lives and their simple way of life, she often feels bored and out of place. For myself, I can remember growing up in a small town. I remembered how I felt during those years, the things that I liked about it and the things I did not like. I never lived on a farm but I did live a country life and did do some manual labor so I could relate to Isobel on that score. Luckily, my mother is alive and well and I grew up with two parents not one, but I can relate to the fact that Isobel has a close relationship with her parent. I had and still have, very close relationships with both of my parents. 
(A couple of examples of what I imagine Isobel's cabin to look like)

 
I am sure every pre-teen or teen at some time feels that they are different than their friends and relatives. I can remember feeling that way at times. I can remember thinking, “no one can possibly understand how I feel, I am so different from everyone else.” I probably was no different but at that time, my feelings were very strong. In Isobel’s case some of her feelings were her age but some were due to the fact that she is different, (spoiler alert if you haven’t read the book.) Isobel finds out that she is half elven. That is why she feels different than her human friends and has abilities that they do not have. As you can see, while writing the story I tried to remember how I felt at that time in my life and translated that into the story, obviously with some differences added to it.

One of my favorite parts of the first novel and the part that was probably the easiest for me to write because I was very much drawing on my own feelings and memories was the part when Isobel leaves home. When she actually leaves her small cozy farm and her comfortable village that she knows so well and when she finally has to say goodbye to those she loves. I went through all of that myself when I got married, (which I did young at 23,) and then immediately had to move away to be with my husband who was in the military. When all of that happened I can remember very well the feelings that I felt of sadness at knowing that I was leaving my childhood home behind. I also felt excited to see new places and experience new things. I also felt a huge sense of doubt. I worried that I would not be able to make a good life for myself or be successful. I worried that people would forget me or that I would lose my close relationship with my parents and siblings. Isobel feels all of these things and for her there is an added sense of danger and the knowledge that her journey is part of her destiny, it is something she must do. In a way, I guess my journey was similar. It was something that I was destined to do, (luckily for me I didn’t have to battle scary Carachi on mine.) 😊
(Some examples of what I imagine Isobel's land to look like, these were taken at a friend's land in VT.)
 


Anyway, I feel like if you understand the old saying, “write what you know” then it can be very useful to remember. For myself it was very rewarding to think back to a time in my life when things were changing or when I felt out of place and use those memories and feelings to describe what my main character was going through. Although every character in my novel has tiny pieces of me in them, I know that Isobel is like a shadow version of my old self. So when writing, do not be afraid to be honest with yourself about feelings you have had or memories from your past and use those things as inspiration for your story. I hope this works for you dear readers. Until next time remember, writing=happiness ;)

Comments