Changing Genres; Spice Up Your Writing:



Changing Genres; Spice Up Your Writing:

Are you a writer? Or a lover of books? What genres speak to you? What types of stories do you most like to read? When I was younger I loved books about small town girls and older time periods. My two favorites were Anne of Green Gables and Little House on the Prairie. When I was a bit older I became a fan of the epic fantasy genre, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Narnia, The Pellinor series and The Golden Compass are some of my favorites. When I started writing seriously again as an adult, it was this fantasy genre that sparked my imagination. This is why I wrote my own fantasy, The Elven Quest series. However, The Burden of Destiny: Elven Quest book 1 was not the first novel that I had written. In high school while taking a creative writing class I wrote my first novel, Benchman, which was not fantasy, it was a coming of age story about a teenager in the city that befriends an old man. It was hand written in the two notebooks shown below. (Someday I’ll type it out and do something with it. 😊)

Now, I realize that it is a good thing not to always stick to one genre but to try writing in different styles. However, if you are publishing your books you may not necessarily want to publish every style and every story you write, especially if you are well known for one specific genre. But, I do think it stimulates different parts of your brain and imagination when you try writing in different ways.
For a while now I have had a story idea in my head that was actually inspired by a song. I hadn’t started writing it because it was not in my fantasy genre, but one day I did sit down and write it. I am part-way into it now and I have to say, it feels strange to not be writing a fantasy story with the characters that are now like my own friends. But it is not a bad strange feeling; it is more of an exciting strange feeling. It is a bit of a challenge. I feel like I have no clue where these new characters will take me or whether or not we will become friends, but I hope we do. It makes me feel like I am shyly observing them from afar wondering if they will invite me over to hang out with them. J I am interested to see how their story ends. I also do not know whether this will become a full novel or a novella but I feel like I am just going to wait and see where it leads.

I would also love at some point to write several short series of children’s books, mostly because my son is three and he loves to read and I would like him to read and enjoy “Mommy’s books” J is that selfish of me? I just want to inspire him. I hope that he will continue to enjoy reading and writing as much as I do. He has a fantastic imagination and I could see him writing good books of his own someday.

I think for readers, at times it can be unnerving when you see an author that you love for one specific style of books suddenly write something else and you think, oh boy, I don’t know…I love their writing but will I love this? It’s not the same. That is always nerve wracking and sometimes you do love their new book, even though it is different but sometimes you may think, yikes, stick to what you did well. Either way though, you have to give a writer props for trying something new and putting themselves out on a limb. It is not easy, at any time in life to step outside your comfort zone, so do not look down on people when they have the guts to do it okay? I have three examples of authors that did this and the books of theirs that I read. One was Nicolas Sparks, he usually writes predictable romance novels and often they have at least one death in them as well as love. I was very into his books for a while. I used to read them as soon as they were published and I loved his romantic style. Then one time he published a book called Three Weeks with My Brother, which was a true story about a trip that he and his brother took together and it also discusses his family and how he grew up a little bit. When I read the back of this book I had that wary feeling, this was not a romance at all; it was a true story. Would I like it? I wasn’t sure, but decided to give it a chance and I am glad I did. It ended up being my favorite Nicolas Sparks book of all time.

The Second example is JK Rowling; she wrote a murder mystery called The Cuckoo’s Calling using the pseudonym name of Robert Galbraith. Generally, I like murder mystery novels, at least a lot of the time I do, not always. When I found out that this book was written by JK Rowling I was curious, I am a huge Potter fan, but how would she handle a murder mystery? I bought it and read it and unfortunately was not a fan. To me the story was too slow and the writing style was so different than her other writing that it put me off, but as I said above, it was brave of her to step out of her comfort zone and try something new so kudos to her anyway.

The final example that I will give is by novelist Stephen King, he is extremely well known for his creepy horror stories and the movies and miniseries based off of them. Personally I liked Rose Red the miniseries. However, Stephen King also wrote the novella The Body, which was the inspiration for the coming of age movie, (and one of my favorite movies,) Stand By Me. Again, this is an example of someone writing a story that is outside of their normal genre and I think that it worked in his case. The Body/Stand By Me, is a fantastic coming of age story, it makes you laugh, cry and quote the lines. It also makes you want to call up your old friends just to say “hi”. My favorite line from the movie is the last line, “The Writer: [typing on computer] I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”

So, for my writers out there, do you have experiences of your own you can share? Have you ever tried stepping out of your comfort zone and writing in a different style? I suggest trying it, even if you never show it to anyone, it challenges you in a good way and helps to polish your writing even more. And for the readers out there, what have you read by authors that you loved that was different than their other writings and did you like it or not? I am always impressed that the writers try regardless of the outcome. Until next time dear readers remember, writing=happiness ;)).

Comments