Ingredients for a Great Novel Stew:


Ingredients for a Great Novel Stew:

Large dose- of realistic characters
Sizable handful- of engaging story-line
Substantial amount- of a descriptive setting
Healthy helping- of interesting character communication
Several splashes- of conflict
A pinch- of danger
A sprinkling- of hope
A dash- of details
 (Alter as desired)

Hi readers, lets talk about the fantastic recipe above. It will create a delicious concoction called a lovable novel that readers will want to gobble up in one sitting. 😉 Have you tried this recipe yet? Or have you been using other versions? The great thing about cooks is that they use a prescribed recipe that they find. They may try it as it is once and then decide that in order to really make it their own they need to add a new ingredient or replace one that was suggested. This makes their dish truly one of a kind and very unique to them. Now honestly, speaking for myself, I’m not a fantastic cook. I can make a mean Mac and cheese and a decent red spaghetti sauce but that’s about it. I’m fine with that, I mean I’d live off Mac and cheese if I could. Mmmm…..now I want Mac and cheese, but I digress. 😁 Luckily for me my husband is a better cook than I am so I am still fed decent meals thanks to him. I may not be great in the kitchen but I have a lot more confidence in my writing abilities. When it comes to writing I am no sue chef, I am head chef!

I know my recipes for the novels that I create are unique to me, why is that? How do I know? Simple, I know because they are developed in my own brain/kitchen using inspiration from things that I see, that I know, that I have experienced or that I have imagined. But for each ingredient I like to ensure that I am using the freshest component, the “real” component. I don’t want something that is pre-used by someone else or something that is overly processed and not natural. I hope I haven’t lost you with my metaphors. Basically I am saying that when I write, I make sure that my stories are all unique to me. I do not use someone else’s words or materials. Now there are
certain ingredients that are, in a way, mass produced so many writer/chefs use them. The important thing to remember is that if your dish ONLY includes these mass produced ingredients, it will not be unique at all. It will be bland, uninspired and repetitive and no one will want to devour it.

So what are the steps to creating a glorious masterpiece dish? Step one, enter your working space and ensure that it is clean and ready to work in. Step two; wash your hands to remove any remaining residue of previous work. Step three, set your intention for making the dish, who are you making it for and why? Is there a time table? You will need to make sure you have enough time to let it cook properly. Step four, gather and think about the ingredients you need. Make sure that you look at each ingredient carefully; you need to have an idea how all of them will blend together but you also want to make sure that you have a depth of knowledge about them individually. Step five, begin mixing the ingredients and cooking/writing. Remember if you alter the recipe in any way, write down what you are changing so that you don’t forget next time. Step six, once complete; review the recipe to make sure that you have not forgotten anything or that you do not want to add any other ingredients. Step seven, let the dish cook on its own, bake or simmer whatever it needs, give it some time and space to do its thing. Step eight, ding…..dish is done. When you are ready give it a taste. Then find a few trusted friends to give a taste to and see what they think, there may still be time to add something to it if necessary. If you are happy with it, then move on to step nine. Step nine, the presentation step. In this step you need to set up a lovely display of your dish, put it in a fancy bowl, place some garnish around it, tell your guests that it is almost ready and let them breath in the wonderful scent of it so that their mouths start to water. Then….ta da!!! Step ten; produce your fancy dish to your family, friends or even strangers. 😄 (Caution: do yourself a favor, remember that everyone fancies themselves a professional critic and you will not be able to please all of your foodie fans. But those that did love this dish will no doubt come back to your kitchen again for new ones, so try to be satisfied with that result. And ask yourself this important question, do you like it? Are you proud of the work you did? If so then that’s what matters!!)

Thanks for reading friends. I have made myself hungry I might go grab a snack, how about you? Before I go I wanted to mention that I am offering a FREE 5 day challenge that will help you create the best version of one of these ingredients mentioned, the first one on the list, realistic characters. The challenge will allow you to learn from me what makes a character realistic and exciting so that they have plenty of flavor! Check it out in my Wise Warrior Writers Facebook group. If you’re not a member yet, come on over. It’s a great free group to join. https://www.facebook.com/groups/311357982714998
Until next time readers remember, writing=happiness ;).

Comments